How to Proceed If You Have Been a Victim of Domestic Violence
Published By:

If you have been the victim of domestic violence, you may be feeling scared, violated, and alone. However, there are steps that you can take to get the emotional, physical, and financial support you may need after such an event. Minnesota domestic violence attorneys can help you put the pieces back together after such a tragic occurrence.


You Attorney Can Ask for Restraining or Support Orders


The first thing that your attorney may do is ask a judge for a protective order against the person who perpetrated the abuse. The abuser generally may not have contact with any minor children if an order of protection is granted. In some cases, the abuser may also be asked to leave a shared residence even if he or she otherwise has the right to be there. When a protective order is granted, a judge may also order that the offender pay for child support if he or she is the legal parent of the child. This may be the case regardless of whether or not the couple is married.


Domestic Violence Could Be Grounds for Divorce


An attorney may be helpful in pursuing the dissolution of a marriage that the victim is part of. If a divorce is granted, the abused spouse may be entitled to spousal support as well as child support if the couple had any children. He or she may also be entitled to a larger share of marital assets as part of an at-fault divorce. If an abuser does get custody or visitation rights to a child, an attorney can make sure that the visitation takes place in public where there is no risk to the child’s safety.


Get the Emotional Support You May Need


Those who have been abused may feel ashamed or worthless. Often, an abuse victim is told by the abuser that he or she deserved whatever abuse was endured. Victims are often isolated from their loved ones or friends as a means for their abusers to exert even more control. Therefore, an abuse victim may need counseling and other emotional support to deal with the direct issues as well as any drug or alcohol abuse that may have come about as an attempt to self-medicate. Attorneys may also be able to help victims find housing or other public programs to help them rebuild their lives.


Domestic violence can leave both physical and emotional scars for anyone who endures that type of abuse. It can also affect the emotional development of a child who may have witnessed or otherwise known about the abuse. If you are not sure what to do next, contacting an attorney can provide much needed direction and advice.

If You Need a Top Minnesota Criminal Lawyer Call 312-338-5007



With offices in Minneapolis and Stillwater, Minnesota, Keyser Law, P.A. handles cases throughout the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area including:




Bloomington, Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Champlin, Chanhassen, Corcoran, Crystal, Dayton, Deephaven, Eden Prairie, Edina, Excelsior, Golden Valley, Greenfield, Greenwood, Hanover, Hopkins, Independence, Long Lake, Loretto, Maple Grove, Maple Plain, Medicine Lake, Medina, Minneapolis, Minnetonka, Minnetrista, Mound, New Hope, Orono, Osseo, Plymouth, Richfield, Robbinsdale, Rockford, Rogers, Shorewood, Spring Park, St. Anthony Village, St. Bonifacius, St. Louis Park, Wayzata, Woodland and Hassan Township.



Afton, Bayport, Birchwood Village, Cottage Grove, Dellwood, Forest Lake, Grant, Hugo, Lake Elmo, Lake St. Croix Beach, Lakeland Shores, Lakeland, Landfall, Mahtomedi, Marine on St. Croix, Newport, Oak Park Heights, Oakdale, Pine Springs, Scandia, St. Marys Point, St. Paul Park, Stillwater, Willernie, White Bear Lake, Woodbury, Baytown, Denmark, Grey Cloud Island, May, West Lakeland, Garen and Point Douglas.


Arden Hills, Blaine, Falcon Heights, Gem Lake, Lauderdale, Little Canada, Maplewood, Mounds View, New Brighton, North Oaks, North St. Paul, Roseville, Shoreview, St. Anthony, St. Paul, Spring Lake Park, Vadnais Heights, White Bear Lake and White Bear Lake Township.


Andover, Anoka, Bethel, Blaine, Centerville, Circle Pines, Columbia Heights, Columbus, Coon Rapids, East Bethel, Fridley, Ham Lake, Hilltop, Lexington, Lino Lakes, Nowthen, Oak Grove, Ramsey and St. Francis.


Apple Valley, Burnsville, Coates, Eagan, Farmington, Hampton, Hastings, Inver Grove Heights, Lakeville, Lilydale, Mendota, Mendota Heights, Miesville, New Trier, Northfield, Randolph, Rosemount, South St. Paul, Sunfish Lake, Vermillion and West St. Paul.